Monday, June 1, 2009

An introduction to 21 Characteristics of a Healthy Marriage

When it comes to looking at marriage, it is natural for most of us to focus on what’s broken and what needs fixing. There is certainly nothing wrong with looking at what areas are weak and need improvement, but I believe we can also benefit when we look at what goes right-what works well in the healthy areas of our marriages.

Over the past 35 years, I have had the privilege of being intimately involved with struggling marriages. Through my professional experience I have gained a perspective in understanding what often goes wrong when they fail, but I have also been in a position to see what goes right as they begin to improve.

So over the weeks ahead in this section of my blog I will be sharing with you some of the characteristics that often show up when these struggling marriages begin to grow and thrive. Every couple of weeks, I will add another relational quality, behavior or attitude that usually begins to come about when faltering marriages begin to improve. And who knows, by the time we reach the end of the 21 characteristics that stand out as important to me now, I may have come up with even more to suggest to you.

And of course, you are always welcome to weigh in with your thoughts, ideas, and personal experiences and observations about what some of the healthy characteristics you see in your marriage. Your comments may even help someone across the country who is struggling in their marriage.

I hope you will be a regular and that you will share any thoughts and ideas you may have that might be helpful to others.

Ed Wimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment